Turning handwriting into a font... help please.

I have been wanting to turn my handwriting into a font and sell it for years! It's something that I know I can do and I know that it will be profitable. But I'm so unfamiliar with the type world... every time I begin looking into it I get confused and end up putting it off again. I was lead to this forum by an active pro who said this would be a good place to get some answers and guidance. If there is someone out there who's willing to lend an honest hand and point me in the right direction I would be beyond thankful. 

I've read up on foundries and resellers like MyFonts and Font.com, but what I'm more interested in is the opportunity to sell my font on a larger scale. I was hesitant to use a second or third party like the ones I mentioned because I didn't know if that would compromise future opportunities. I know that there are options, I just don't know where to begin. 

What is the first step in making my handwriting into a font and selling it?

THANK YOU!

Tagged:

Comments

• The first step is either to learn font software or to approach and work closely with a type designer – questions regarding both approaches are welcome in this thread.

Selling it is quite a few steps away from beginning to make it. There isn’t really a compromise with third parties – (most) reseller contracts have a renewal period. If you’re not happy with the contract after, say, three years, you can revoke it and go on to greener pastures.

But really, let’s talk about your handwriting design first.
  • I have a graphic designer who I trust - she's created several logos and designs for me and my colleagues. She was able to show me what the font would look like if she created it and it's pretty spot on. But would I need a type designer? That is something else I was unsure about...

How hard would it be for me to learn font software myself? I'm pretty tech savvy. But I probably wouldn't have a use for it after creating my handwriting.
  • and thank you for taking the time to reply! =)
  • Dave CrosslandDave Crossland Posts: 1,389
    www.designwithfontforge.com has some information, and where you find it lacking, you can post issues on github to request more detail. 

The www.glyphsapp.com tutorial is also good. 

If you read Spanish, http://www.tipo-e.com/publicaciones/como-crear-tipografias/ is very good. 
  • All I can say is that we need a small sample of your handwriting. I don't want another Bradley Hand.  :)
  • Marc OxborrowMarc Oxborrow Posts: 220
    There are free online services (like this one) that will convert your handwriting into a font. As a consequence, there are hundreds (if not thousands) of free handwriting fonts available. (Take a look at DaFont.com.) You're entering a crowded marketplace.

To improve the odds of selling your font "on a larger scale," it will need to be unique, well-designed, and use OpenType magic to simulate the randomness/irregularity of real handwriting. That probably requires the work/input/assistance of a type designer.