Stretching in IE

Has anyone had this problem with web font rendering? The first is with Chrome, the second is with IE. It looks like it's misunderstanding alignment zones, but I've double checked and everything is correct in the files. Is there something obvious I'm not understanding?

Tagged:

Comments

• James PuckettJames Puckett Posts: 1,969
    I’ve seen browsers do some wacky stuff but never this. What are you using to generate the fonts and how are you building the web fonts?
  • James PuckettJames Puckett Posts: 1,969
    Looks like bad hinting.

Maybe, but what bothers me is that Chrome and IE supposedly both use DirectWrite now. Which means that either IE is falling back to an older rasterizer or one of the two browsers is tweaking the output of DirectWrite. This is the second time this week that I’ve seen mismatched rendering between these browsers. As type designers we should lobby Microsoft and Google to explain exactly WTF is going on with their text rendering so that we know what we’re building fonts for.

• attarattar Posts: 209
    edited April 2015
    I've seen such a thing with webfonts generated from the FontSquirrel generator in the past. It would rather randomly generate botched fonts so I just retried until it would produce something useful.
    Nowadays I use software locally, at least do you then know what you are running.
  • Mike DugganMike Duggan Posts: 237
    Could someone send me the problematic font, I can try and figure out what the problem is. Mikedu@
    Microsoft.com
  • Have you been using ttfautohint?
    it would be useful to know how the font was hinted. I dont think TTFAutohint causes such problems.
  • It’s funny you mention alignment zones, because every time I’ve had this happen has been with bad (or no) alignment zones going through FontSquirrel with TTFAH. I hate to ask if you’re entirely sure, so I’ll just leave this here for future searchers: yes, this can happen. There can be multiple reasons.
  • An incident like this once happened to me when I had my glyphs scaled to 2048 units, yet the alignment zones were still on the 1000 unit grid.
  • Like many have said, it's likely the problem was the FontSquirrel webfont generator. It produced that result over and over again—but when the eot and woff files were generated locally instead, there were no problems. Tom Grace did the hinting, so I can't answer as to whether he used TTFAH.
  • Nick ShinnNick Shinn Posts: 2,131
    I like the /t with the tall ascender. 
    Washington “Capital”!
    this might be a naive question, but why do folks use font squirrel? to generate web fonts? if so, why not, not allow it to autohint, i think there is an option for that, or tell it use TTFautohint, which i hope is v. 1.3
  • Pretty sure that’s just an interpolation: Qualtrics Grotesque DaFont Extended

I’ve used Font Squirrel for testing (with autohinting turned off) and never had any of these issues.