FL's Auto Standard stems vs AFDKO's StemHist

Ramiro EspinozaRamiro Espinoza Posts: 839
edited March 2015 in Technique and Theory
Can anyone tell me how FL's auto standard stems function compares to AFDKO's StemHist? Is FL's method not good enough? Should I always use AFDKO's StemHist? Does the difference between both really matter?
Tagged:

Comments

• I always do my steams manually. The scripts tend to add to many stems. And to boil it down to the best result can’t be done by a script. 
    Steams are used to harmonize the appearance of the steams in small sizes. If you add a lot values, you end up with the same result as without hinting/stem.
  • Thomas PhinneyThomas Phinney Posts: 2,730
    If you really care about the font, I am with Georg: do the stems manually. AFDKO's StemHist is a useful tool in doing it manually.
  • Deleted AccountDeleted Account Posts: 739
    edited April 2015
    Anyone know which one creates better TT hints on conversion, or doesn't it matter?
  • Thomas PhinneyThomas Phinney Posts: 2,730
    ? Not sure I understand. FontLab generates a specific list of values. AFDKO tells you how many stems have what values, and you can then decide what to do (tweak some stems, use certain values, whatever). AFDKO doesn't generate a specific list of values to use; it's an informational tool you use to intelligently decide yourself.
  • Thanks for the info