The FJ vs. H lawsuit thread.

123457»

Comments

• Max PhillipsMax Phillips Posts: 474
    edited December 2014
    Scott-Martin, it's very true that we'll never know the whole truth about what happened. No one ever knows the whole truth about anything. But, as you also say, I still have to choose whether or not to license H&Co fonts. Neither course is morally neutral, and I can only pick one based on the information I have. Which, in fairness, is quite a bit.

I don't think Gill or Wagner are pertinent here. For one thing, the abhorrent things they did were unrelated to their creative work. For another, they're dead. There's question that by licensing Gill or listening the the Ring cycle, you might be complicit in unethical activity, and no point in punishing Monotype or Deutsche Grammophon for dead men's misdeeds.
  • Any similarities to actual persons or places, alive or dead, real or fictitious is merely coincidental and the product of a feverish imagination.
    http://www.dorkly.com/post/71305/if-luke-had-accepted-vaders-offer

• I fear I am totally guilty of nepotism and recommend my friends (mostly people in this group) fonts all the time. I only recommend ones I believe are of high quality, and obviously whoever I am recommending them to is free to choose whatever they wish, but I see no issue with wanting to support my friends. 
  • Russell McGormanRussell McGorman Posts: 258
    edited December 2014
    Since I make 'em (fonts) and rarely ever buy 'em, I don't mind coming down - on the personal level, on the side of my idea of the who the 'good guys' are. I'm not in the same league as the Adam Twardochs of this world by any stretch of the imagination, so the thought of my opinion as a type designer of another type designer or foundry unfairly tipping the balance one way or the other is of absolutely no concern to me.

But, in my in-house design job for a government agency, there is a line where that way of thinking gets shelved, partly because I like having the job, but mainly because my opinion when spoken as a civil servant can have more weight than I intend. Not much, but still... :neutral_face: )