Options

Open proofs collection.

James PuckettJames Puckett Posts: 1,970
edited April 2015 in Technique and Theory
I’ve posted many of my type design proofs to Github. They’re licensed under the MIT license. Included are proofs for testing glyph forms, spacing, kerning, diacritical marks, Devanagari conjuncts, book layouts, etc. The repository is: https://github.com/DunwichType/DTF_Proofs

Comments

• Options
    Hello James,
    many thanks for sharing it with us.

Do you see a chance to convert those files to the InDesign exchange IDML format?
    This would give those people a chance who work older InDesign versions (like me) :smile: 
    PDF would be cool too. :blush:
    Thanks,
    Thomas
  • Options
    IDML files for obsolete versions of Indesign were posted yesterday. 

PDF is pointless as the text could not be edited and the formatting is not copy/paste friendly. The fonts used for the Latin are just Times New Roman and Myriad, which don’t even support all of the glyphs in my most recent work, so they wouldn’t even make good reference.
  • Options
    Hi James,
    thanks for the IDML files!
    These will help a lot.

Cheers Thomas
  • Options
    Thanks so much for sharing this! One thing I've been trying to figure out is which kern pairs are actually likely to occur in languages I don't know, and it looks like some of these will be really helpful for that.
  • Options
    Diana OvezeaDiana Ovezea Posts: 14
    edited April 2015
    Thanks so much. This is very generous of you! It's awesome to see these and I feel a sense of relief to realize how similar most of them are to my proof sheets :)
  • Options
    One thing I've been trying to figure out is which kern pairs are actually likely to occur in languages I don't know, and it looks like some of these will be really helpful for that.

It’s important to remember that there’s no such thing as an exhaustive list of kern pairs. Proper nouns break every spelling rule, especially in Eastern Europe. So prepare for everything, but don’t kill yourself proofing it all.

• Options
    One thing I've been trying to figure out is which kern pairs are actually likely to occur in languages I don't know, and it looks like some of these will be really helpful for that.

Please keep in mind that you first do the spacing properly. A font should work without any kerning as it did in cold and hot metal setting. 

• Options
    attarattar Posts: 209
    edited April 2015
    > Please keep in mind that you first do the spacing properly. A font should work without any kerning as it did in cold and hot metal setting. 

I agree except for letters you're negatively spacing in order to compensate an eventual lack of kerning (this was particularly pronounced with the early PostScript fonts where kerning pairs were limited and there was often no kerning between V,W,Y and lc) – because it actually worsens pairs which don’t usually need kerning, e.g. VH or VN etc.