Albert BC

Hi! 

I'm a graphic design student from the UK. For whatever reason, I thought I might find it easier to learn typography design by imagining an additional weight of an existing typeface. This is the first alphabet I've worked on. 

I regret not starting something of my own from scratch, but I don't want the time I've spent on this to go to waste so I'd like to make something of what I have at the moment. (I graduate in 6 weeks). 

What do you think? Does it have any worth? What should I do about letters like 'O' 'C' 'S' etc. ? 

Best,

Simon

Comments

• It seems you choose the hard way: altering width and weight of Albertus at once. However, I think this is an interesting approach to learn about type design, anyway.
    The overall impression of your sample is not so bad. All is still looking a bit … mechanically sqeezed, so to say. The hor. bar of the H is to heavy. M and N look to dark, also W and w. The v, on the other hand, is too light.
    As for the round-shaped capitals C, O, G &cª, they ought to be recognizable as kin. What you did with O and Q might also be applied to C, G; or vice versa. Look at Wolpe’s design …
    Question my comments by looking at some sample text.