Should I switch from Glyphs?

2»

Comments

• Recently the DTL paradise has been startled by a Python luring in the Apple department. What you have seen, is my Cadence Gospel according to Lukas* (he would be a highly blessed speaker for the upcoming Robothon conference IMHO). Hallelujah!

*Lukas Schneider is currently a disciple of mine in Antwerp after receiving a master’s degree from TypeMedia.

• Dave CrosslandDave Crossland Posts: 1,389
    edited February 2015
    When's the Glyphs version going to descend to the holy github repo for those following the prophet Georg?
  • Lukas’ Phyton stuff is like the Widow of Zarephath’s jar of flour and jug of oil, and he is cooking now for the prophet Georg.
  • That's where the users are, so for your lettermodel to really revolutionize the type design community, it seems to me that a libre extension to Glyphs will create the biggest bang
  • Lukas schneider will bring his laptop to the Robothon conference next week for those interested in the LS Cadencer and LS Cadenculator tools. This PDF shows some outcomes generated in Kernagic using my cadence-units algorithm. The extensions Lukas scripted for RoboFont are even more sophisticated and easier to handle. The LS Cadenculator can do measurements of existing fitting (see image below), analyze the outcomes and transform these into a Cadence Units Spacing Table (CUST).

Because this is all becoming quite off-topic, I will start a new discussion titled Application of Archetypal Patterns in the Present-Day Type-Design Practice shortly. So, I will only brieflly explain the cadence-unit system here.

Already I have informed you about (the progress of) my research into (the effects of) systematization and standardization of the Renaissance type production. From a range of archetypal models from the 15th and 16th centuries I distilled a system in which the stem interval (marked with ‘A’ in the image above) is divided into what I baptized cadence units. These units are organic, i.e., distilled from the design itself; they are the common denominators in type that is morphologically related to the Renaissance archetypal models. This forms the basis for the cadence-units fitting.

What can one do with this? Well, first of all one can space a typeface in a jiffy and if necessary, one can make very controlled refinements in a logical resolution (instead of the 1000 [or more] universal units). One can also adapt the typeface itself to its underlying pattern (the lower the resolution of the grid, the stronger the beat). IMHO this makes a lot of sense, if only for screen (web) purposes.

It would be interesting to investigate whether browsers could cadence on the fly.