Options for new type designers?

124»

Comments

• Dave RowlandDave Rowland Posts: 15

This method definitely works and is what I recommend one do as one is building a reputation. 

How do you go about getting custom work without a reputation? It's a market that seems pretty difficult to break into to me. I've been designing type for 9 years now and only just starting to get custom work, but maybe that's because I've only recently started looking for it as the retail market is slumping (for me at least!)
  • JoyceKettererJoyceKetterer Posts: 197
    edited May 9
    @Dave Rowland you're right, of course. I was responding to the conversation as it had evolved - not as it had started.

That said, nine years seems like a long time and I think it is likely there's something specific to you that lead to your only just getting requests.  

I think the main way to get custom work as a relatively new type designer is to have a a graphic designer vouch for you with their clients.  This happens when someone with talent happens to fall under the wing of an established professional.  But, honestly, I've never been a part of this stage in the career of a typeface designer so others are more qualified than I to weigh in.  
  • Dave RowlandDave Rowland Posts: 15

That said, nine years seems like a long time and I think it is likely there's something specific to you that lead to your only just getting requests.  

Hope it's not just that I'm not very good at it! Seriously, though, I am very slack at the marketing side of things. I still don't have my own website. I'm sure there's a million other things I could have done along the way to help myself out. This is a good lesson for those starting out - don't get so bogged down in drawing the things that you forget everything else.