Options

The new trend in fonts

I am sure this has been discussed for some time but I am starting to see the trend where fonts that get released are discounted 50% to 90%. The reality is that customers will start to view fonts as they do phone apps where they should be anywhere from a $1.00 to $5.00. I hope it doesn't come to this but I see it happening. :(

Comments

• Options
    Chin up. You'll also notice that 99% of those fonts are total shit. Being undercut sucks but we (foundries, vendors, writers, designers, various professional type people) also need to take responsible for giving bottom-line driven middle men so much control over the market. Type faces aren't commodities, despite how much the monotype/google/adobe models want them to be.
  • Options
    Chin up. You'll also notice that 99% of those fonts are total shit. Being undercut sucks but we (foundries, vendors, writers, designers, various professional type people) also need to take responsible for giving bottom-line driven middle men so much control over the market. Type faces aren't commodities, despite how much the monotype/google/adobe models want them to be.

...said the stock photographers in the early 90's. Don't see many of those guys around these days.
  • Options
    Chris LozosChris Lozos Posts: 1,458
    It is far less work to "get lucky" shooting a photograph than it is to produce a typeface.
  • Options
    ...said the stock photographers in the early 90's. Don't see many of those guys around these days.
    Unrelated.
  • Options
    James PuckettJames Puckett Posts: 1,970
    One can’t shoot a couple dozen good fonts in an afternoon. And there’s still plenty of high-end stock photography, but the photographers sell direct rather than through the stock houses. As with type, good designers who do some research know the difference.