I'm developing one or two display cuts for the text family I'm currently working on. Since the text cuts still require a lot of work (to establish a spectrum of weights), the display cuts are going to be finished much sooner.
Now, I'm tempted to start selling the display cuts before the rest of the family is ready, as a sort of teaser for the upcoming text cuts. However, I'm not sure this is a good idea, since it might take some impact and novelty out of the family release. On the other hand, it could generate interest and anticipation. I'm rather inexperienced with the politics of font release, so I'm curious to hear your opinions on this.
(1) Would you advocate pre-releasing the display fonts?
(2) If so, should the display and text font all bear the same family name (such as the different optical weights of Minion Pro) or different but related names (like Satyr and Faunus)? I am currently tending towards the latter, though I'm afraid it might reduce the attractiveness of the family by making it less obvious that it has both display and text cuts.
(3) In case of (1) pre-release and (2) keeping an explicit family name; would you advocate releasing them as two separate font families on MyFonts (like Brandon Grotesque and Brandon Text), or as a single superfamily (like Minion Pro)? I guess the former would be preferable here, since otherwise the upgrade from the display font to the complete family might just go unnoticed. Then again, my worry in (2) applies here too.
(4) Dave Crossland proposed that we get paid by Google Fonts to make our font freely available. I am, in principle, interested in this concept (though I haven't made a decision yet). Would you recommend restricting this to one or two weights of the text cut, leaving everything else for the paid Pro version on MyFonts, or releasing everything through Google Fonts? Or would you not recommend going Google in the first place?