Fontlab's GASP table settings not working in Vista

Ramiro EspinozaRamiro Espinoza Posts: 839
edited November 2013 in Technique and Theory
Hi there,

I've been doing some tests on TTF fonts where all font sizes have been set to be antialiased. But what happen is when I test in Vista (with ClearType deactivated and only 'standard' smoothing allowed) the range of weights being antialiased is totally different to what is specified in Font Info > TrueType-specific settings > Font Smoothing.

Any idea on what can be happening?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Ramiro,

just to double-check: you do remember that within FontLab Studio (and within fonts), screen sizes are given in ppm sizes, which correspond to point sizes only when the screen dpi is set to 72 dpi -- right? By default, Windows uses 96 dpi, or higher. At 96 dpi, 10 pt corresponds to 13 ppm.

There's a longer thread on this:
    http://typophile.com/node/57768

Does this help? Or is your problem related to something else?
    Adam
  • Mmmmhhh... We've set smoothing for all type sized but in Vista below 15px the fonts are displayed in B/W only.
  • Hi Ramiro,
    did you already have a look at the actual font’s GASP table (with OTmaster)? Not everything you do in Fontlab arrives in the font.
    Cheers,
    Christoph
  • I don't have OT Master but I will try with TTX. Thanks!
  • Ramiro EspinozaRamiro Espinoza Posts: 839
    edited November 2013
    Gosh, I found the problem: TransType 4 is totally changing the original GASP settings! GRRR.
    (And I am still waiting for the answer to a TransType 4 help-desk ticket I opened more than a week ago for a different reason).
    @Adam: Any idea? Can you help?
  • Ramiro,

can you contact me directly at adam at fontlab dot com?