Question about correct contours

2»

Comments

• Hrant I am not sure about the Arabic character, but it transcribed “ hÏ”
    it is soft glotal sound . 
  • @ Igor @ Hrant
    Igor the word space uni 1361 is two dots to separate a words .

By white space I mean negative space within the letter . 
    A better “ Hiwa” is insured by setting rules how to write each letter . 

Rule number one is when  a letter form is written one has to start from left to the right . 

For example if you write upper case Latin “H” you have to start from left vertical stroke and then the horizontal bar and then
    Finish it by adding the right horizontal stroke on the right  (right is as you see the screen). Only 3 strokes .

as you can see on the image after the first stroke it is easier to see where to put the next stroke in proportion . 

Another rule is no letter form shouldn’t have continuous lines for example if you write the letter “O” it has to have two half circles joined .

Hrant BTW “Hiwa”sometimes spelled
     “ Hewa” means space or usable vacuum 
    You can see the use of Hiwa better on Ethiopian crosses like this painting of mine .
    Or google Ethiopian old crosses .

How to translate all this in typography design is my life long passion. :)

You're in good company with Adrian Frutiger, Alfred Willimann, and Fred Smeijers.
    Alfred Willimann once taught Adrian Frutiger 'Do not apply black but cover up white so as to activate the light on the sheet of paper.'  Fred Smeijers writes the theory that the counters (or hiwa in your terms, or negative space) must be drawn first before the outer forms.
    The interplay of black and white is what the Japanese call notan.  This is an important design element in typeface design.
  • The interplay of black and white is what the Japanese call notan.  This is an important design element in typeface design.
    Indeed, and in text face design not only important, but the most important. And crucially, painting the black (with any [imaginary] tool) is a barrier to optimal notan; it can pay it lip service, but cannot truly respect it.