Help fixing lookups?

Hi there, I recently finished working on my first custom font, it's an alternate English alphabet I decided to try and make into a working font for fun. 

I put it together using FontForge, it uses a set of alt-characters and alt-lookup tables which I've managed to get working in the app, you can see it automatically calling the correct alt-characters while typing in the metrics window picture here:



When I generate the font to a .ttf the alt characters show up correctly in the Windows Font Viewer as well:



However when I test out the font in any other app like Word the alt character lookups don't work at all, so it looked broken like this:



I'm completely stuck at this point, I'm a total novice with this stuff.. I'm really hoping someone can help point me in the right direction to get this working. Here's a picture of what my lookups in FontForge look like in case it helps:



Thank you very much for your time. Please let me know if you'd like me to PM you a copy of the .sfd file for this font.

Comments

  • GeorgeBPryorGeorgeBPryor Posts: 3
    Word 2010 and up do support contextual alternates, but you will manually have to enable such support in your documents. Do open the Font dialog, and select the Advanced tab. Then check the option to "Use Contextual Alternates" and click OK.

    That did it, thank you so much, I can finally start doing stuff with my font! Here's what it looks like on the opening of the declaration of independence:



    Cheers!
  • Hrant H. PapazianHrant H. Papazian Posts: 1,517
    Cool project!
  • GeorgeBPryorGeorgeBPryor Posts: 3
    Cool project!
    Thank you! I'll post a copy of the finished font with the story behind it soon.
Sign In or Register to comment.