The TypeDrawers Rules (deprecated)

edited October 2014 in TypeDrawers Announcements
We have a revised list of rules. — SC

1 • Use Your Real Name
All members must use their real first and last names as a username. Alternatively, you may use a trade name if that obviously identifies you. This policy encourages thoughtful, mature discourse where all users are accountable members of a professional community.

2 • Post In The Appropriate Forum
Find the correct location before you post a new thread. Threads posted in the wrong location will be moved, locked, or deleted at the discretion of moderators.

3 • Google That Question
Search before you post a question. Someone else probably asked already.

4 • Stay On Topic and Don’t Hijack Threads
Stick to the original topic of the thread. If the conversation moves in a different direction then start a new thread.

5 • No Personal Attacks
Ad hominem personal attacks constitute thread hijaacking. Habitual offenders will be banned.

6 • Do Not Use Typedrawers For Shameless Self Promotion
The moderators know who the real experts are. If you attempt to use Typedrawers to pass yourself off as an expert consultant you will be banned.

7 • No Pirate Fonts
Typedrawers is a place for serious professional discussions, and professionals buy their tools. Do not ask people to supply you with pirate fonts. Do not post links to pirate fonts. Do not post links to make us all aware that people are pirating fonts. And please, do not ask for free replacements for commercial fonts, pirate or otherwise.

8 • Do Not Ask For Typeface Identification
WhatTheFont.com and identifont.com will do the job faster.

9 • Do Not Ask For Typeface Recommendations
If you are a designer choosing typefaces is what you get paid to do. If you are not a designer and need help with typography, engage a designer.

10 • You Are Not A Lawyer And Neither Are We
If you want legal advice engage an attorney. Please do not expect people who specialize in designing alphabets to know how to solve your international trademark/copyright law problems.

11 • The Constitution Of The United States Does Not Guarantee Free Speech On Internet Forums
Typedrawers is for discussing typography and related topics. If you want to discuss something else, go somewhere else.

12 • Banned Email Domains
Email accounts from domains that are popular with spam bots are prohibited from creating new accounts. This includes Yahoo.co.uk, various Chinese email hosts, and all regional variants of Hotmail.com, Outlook.com, and Live.com.

Disposable email accounts such as Dispostable and Spambog are also forbidden. They are popular with spammers and so I block them as I discover a spammer using them to sign up. When I block a domain all existing accounts from that domain are banned.

13 • Use Flags Responsibly
The 'Spam', 'Abuse' and 'Troll' flags should be used responsibly and for serious purpose, i.e. to flag something that should potentially be removed by the moderator. This is why they are grouped together under the flag dropdown, and are not grouped with the other feedback buttons.

14 • No Astroturfing
If you want to discuss a political issue relevant to typography or the type industry then post your own thoughtful take on the issue. Posts that simply regurgitate talking points, from any perspective, will be locked.

15 • No Whining
Moderators are exempt from the rules and have free reign to move, lock, and delete threads. Habitual violators may be banned.

Comments

• Do not invite Hrant.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Unfortunately requiring real names is just not an option with Vanilla. I will put in a request, but it would require them to overhaul the functionality of an add-on, so even if they can do it don’t expect it soon.
  • Is there a way to strongly suggest/recommend the use of real names on the account creation form, or do you not have access to edit the instructions?
  • Jan SchmoegerJan Schmoeger Posts: 280
    edited September 2012
    There are quite a few new members with minimal profile information now—what about requesting real names and details as a condition of membership and deleting incomplete or fake profiles automatically after a time period—a day ot two? We (as a group) could also just ignore posters who do not put their real names in their profiles? Then James or someone else could clean them out once in a while … unanswered.
  • Eris AlarEris Alar Posts: 418
    edited December 2012
    I'm fine with all this, other than the font ID, what the font has been useless for me 90% of the time. But i understand why it's not here, and can live with that. Just saying, even 'pro' designers don't know all the fonts out there and sometimes want help.
  • Point taken, Sye, but there are many other sources for font identification. Maybe James can add these to the mention of WTF in the rules.
  • Eris AlarEris Alar Posts: 418
    Thanks Stephen, I'm totally cool with not having ID stuff in here as the focus is on making, not using, type. Adding the link you put would be great.
  • Upload the image to whatever image server you want to use. Copy the URL for the image, click the little image button (it’s the blue/green rectangle), patste the URL into the box, and click “OK”
  • James, can you fix this Announcement so it always stays at the top?
  • I asked Vanilla support about the troll reaction. I’ll let you know what they say.
  • In the rules, I would change "hire a designer" to "engage a designer" to allow that not all business relationships are based on hiring alone. Hope this is a good suggestion.
  • James PuckettJames Puckett Posts: 1,967
    Good point, David.
  • I just noticed the original name "Typeboard" still scattered throughout the rules. When time permits that should be changed.
  • John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 2,946
    In the interests of brand distinction and to limit market confusion, perhaps TypeDrawers should have a no-punning rule?
  • Chris LozosChris Lozos Posts: 1,458
    Seriously? No punning? Why? it is harmless.
  • In the interests of brand distinction and to limit market confusion,
    @John, can you be more specific about that comment, such as how a pun would affect either?
    I meant in terms of making the TypeDrawers experience less like that of Typophile.

The comment was intended as a joke, in response to a couple of comments closing up the 'FL TransType 4' thread, and a gentle troll at Chris. That said, I think it might be worth taking a look at what happens to discussions, here and on Typophile, when they shift into punning. My memory is of a lot of interesting discussions petering to a halt when the puns begin, or perhaps it's the other way round and puns begin when the substantive discussion has run its course.
  • Thanks for that explanation.

Just my opinion, but we don't have that much punning so I don't see anything wrong with a little humor now and then. This forum is nothing at all like Typophile and I don't think it ever will be.

I tend to think that the puns begin when most things of substance have been covered, at least in the mind of the person doing the punning -- or maybe they have lost interest.
    Fear not, John. I will not pun again. You can rest assured I would never do anything to to dilute your precious brand.
  • That would be a pity, Chris. Well, what about setting up some area for frivolity, and linking to it from the main (serious) thread so that it does not distract from the topic?
    Apparently my own brand of humour fails the funny test. As you were.
    Sorry, John. I am not accustomed to you being funny so I clearly missed the joke, my apologies.
  • Nick ShinnNick Shinn Posts: 2,129
    edited July 2013
    Chris, I'm rolfing, even without the puns!
This discussion has been closed.