Wondering how many have you tried...

Google Hangout?

Comments

• Mark SimonsonMark Simonson Posts: 1,652
    Hadn't heard of it until now. Have you used it?
  • Alex KaczunAlex Kaczun Posts: 163
    Very cool!

Thanks for the heads up, David.

PS—look out Facebook & Twitter...
  • Nick ShinnNick Shinn Posts: 2,131
    No. I don't like socializing on the phone, especially with video.
  • Some of us do weekly meetings on important group issues. We find it's quite nice for a geographically distributed group with common interests.
    I agree, David. This is a big thing.

Up to 10 people teleconferencing, and it's free.

It would also be great to interact with TypeDrawers members, on a particular post—in real time and share common interests and discussions.

TypeDrawers HangOut! I like!
  • Craig EliasonCraig Eliason Posts: 1,397
    PS—look out Facebook & Twitter...
    This has been available and pushed by Google for nearly two years as part of Google+; I don't think its reception thus far has Facebook and Twitter shaking in their shoes.
  • If I can video conference and share screens of type, software and interface, wear party hats, beards and trigger applause or crickets at any given instant, what do I care what Facebook and Twitter do in their shoes;)

The overarching point for me is that this texting back and forth with strangers, cumbersome sharing of files and faces, and mental administration of who's quoted whom and what, is getting old. . . And, once a forum evolves up to real names, theoretically each of us are only a hat or a hair-comb, and a good connection away from really interacting.
  • Craig EliasonCraig Eliason Posts: 1,397
    When Google Wave came out I thought it would be the perfect format for type critiques. But it never reached a critical mass. It combined synchronous and asynchronous communication, which is obviously the big jump between Typedrawers and Hangouts.
    Well said, David!

I for one am really getting tired of texting, emails back-and-forth—no one interacts anymore. Not really. I welcome the Google Hangout approach. Talking to people, real time, is the way. Let's start to truly interact.

But, let me put on my pants before I go live ;0)
  • John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 2,955
    My concern these days with anything out of Google is that they have a record of killing off their own projects. If 'google' had not already attained a meaning as a verb, it could be used to describe the process of quietly launching an apparently cool piece of technology and then dropping it completely a couple of years later, presumably because it didn't get as big as you'd hoped it would.
    John, right you are—Google is known to do just that. Sometimes too big is no good. As I recall, Apple had a similar problem. Initially they rocked the boat, changed everything. Then, they didn't want to share their new technologies with anyone else (like QuicKDraw GX, etc) with others (like Microsoft), so the great technology lingered and went to sleep. Now it's been reborn as OpenType. Great!

Sometimes it just takes a little time. Here is one who is hoping. People need to start interacting again... face-to-face. Texting is old-hat—time to change. Talk to me.

I'm listening!
  • In every context I have seen and used (labs, classrooms, work, home) it has failed in one way or another every time for at least one person due to multiple technical incompatibilities. I wouldn’t hitch my wagon to that horse if I were you. How active is everyone’s Google+ lately?
  • Ray LarabieRay Larabie Posts: 1,376
    I shut down my all my Google+ pages except my personal profile. The only action I was seeing on my pages was from the same 1-2 people and I didn't think it was worth the extra bother. I got the feeling that a lot of people post to Google+ but don't spend a lot of time browsing and engaging with posts as they would with Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
  • Mark SimonsonMark Simonson Posts: 1,652
    Sounds like eWorld.
  • Marc OxborrowMarc Oxborrow Posts: 220
    edited March 2013
    In my very small sample size of one meeting, Google Hangout worked well for a videoconference involving designers in 4 locations.
  • So, that's a none. :) And those reasons range from: it's google, to... it might not last or if it does they'll charge you, to... social media tools shouldn't be used for work, to social media is heavier than a duck, so it must not be a witch...

Wait, is this a one?

"In every context I have seen and used (labs, classrooms, work, home) it has failed in one way or another... "
    You have gotten multiple users upgraded to g+ and each time in four environments it failed? How did it fail? Was it always one or more user not being able to connect, bad transmission or what?
  • What's wrong with Skype?
  • I've used it, but not for a professional meeting - yet
  • Stuart, we tried Skype, but beyond 3 people it's dicey, and screen sharing, which is really window sharing, is key.
  • I use it for work all the time and as you say, David it is a nice way of connecting people, particularly in contrast with conference calls which can often be confusing when not everyone on the call knows everyone else.
  • Eris AlarEris Alar Posts: 420
    I've never tried Hangout, also, I would be quite nervous actually talking to lots of you.
  • I understand, but on the other hand, boards like this are for people who like to, and are proficient at reading and writing, in English. Now there's nothing wrong with that at all, unless you don't particularly like that best. :)
    Well, IRL I prefer talking to typing, so I guess it's not a big jump for here. I have not checked out g+ for months, I'll take another look at it.

In a slight tangent, how would it work, as in set times for set topics of conversation, or just whoever turns up chats about whatever is on their mind? Also, does Hangout record sessions? One great thing about these forums is looking over posts after the fact, is that possible with Hangout, or is it even desirable?
  • Tangent? I was just considering the options along the lines you are questioning.

So, I wonder how to do a Typedrawer time-zone survey for those interested.

It's not that everyone has to live in the same time zone, but if a hangout's to work, it has to be regular, simple to "drop in".
  • Would it be easiest to start a community on Google+ with the name TypeDrawers or something similar? Or can we leverage our Google+ details on this site to start something? I am happy to trial something in the next couple of hours (currently 15:00 GMT) if anyone is available.
    I just added David, I could not find you Karl. I use Simon Robertson on there, I think this is my link: https://plus.google.com/112856445257243683713
  • Deleted AccountDeleted Account Posts: 739
    edited April 2013
    I got Sye in my Typedrawers circle, and I found Alex K. If all interested make the same, we'll be easy to find. Hangout maybe friday noon est?
  • As long as I am showing up online and not already in one (job thing) that works for me.
    David, count me in. It would be great to see how this thing works.

Would be interesting to see everyone and HangOut.

If this works to everyones expectations—maybe we could make this a weekly event.

Just give specifics and confirm. Thanks.
  • John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 2,955
    While the prospect of 'hanging out' with David, Karl and others is the only thing that's made Google+ remotely appealing to me, I am deeply tired of being pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered by companies who treat me as a product and track me so they can sell me.