Do table figures align across weights and styles?

It seems to me that it is simple logic that all table figures in a family align with each other across weights and styles (because they should all be able to occur and align within the same table), but when I check some well known typefaces (for example Charter) they do not have the same advance width across weights or styles.

What is the right thing to do?

Comments

• Robin MientjesRobin Mientjes Posts: 115
    edited August 27
    For custom or purpose-made typefaces, there can be dozens of good reasons for diverging (editorial habits/needs, legacy typesetting, who knows), but for retail, you’re right. The most predictable logic is that the tabular characters align across styles and weights. I’d struggle to justify not having them the same width for retail type.

For reference, in Dover Text I did exactly that and, with a bit of massaging, it worked out well (page 15).
  • Ebern KlauseEbern Klause Posts: 27
    edited August 27
    Thanks Robin. And a good idea to include periods and commas in this as well, as you did with Dover.
  • Ha, I didn’t see that one. Thanks Craig.
  • Vasil StanevVasil Stanev Posts: 201
    Does anyone know if there is a font with oldstyle superscript numerals? I think there shouldn't be, but I might be wrong.
  • I don't see why OldStyle numerals should not be used for superscripts if the regular figures of a font are also OldStyle numerals. 

My Talapanna Font is like that.
  • It seems to me that it is simple logic that all table figures in a family align with each other across weights and styles...
    That seems a logical argument to make with bold and regular weights (and matching italics), but I can't see that logic extending beyond that. There's no good way to squeeze a heavy weight into the same width as a thin, for example.
  • Kent LewKent Lew Posts: 782
    Which isn’t to say that it can’t be done, if the brief happens to require it.