Polish: the ł_ł ligature revisited

2»

Comments

• Adam JagoszAdam Jagosz Posts: 689
    edited December 2018
    I wanted to say stems, you see???
    Nah. While it is typographically (in most cases) incorrect, it doesn't cause readability issues for Polish readers. There is no /lslash design with a horizontal bar that cuts through the stem (not at the top). (Model #1 in the image in the OP isn't a good design.)
    And here I was thinking 180 was quite a lot.
    Those 180 names are really very rare. 180 would be long for a list of common words.
    But: I totally support creating bulletproof fonts. If the designer has the time or ambition to do so. So I would say looking for actual words of any language misses the point (and is prone to error), since nobody stops people from making up new words (brands, names in fantasy books?). If the font actually needs an /lslash_lslash ligature, why not just do it and get it over with? But if time is short, definitely sorting the todo list is advisable.
  • I wanted to say stems, you see???
    Nah. While it is typographically (in most cases) incorrect, it doesn't cause readability issues for Polish readers. There is no /lslash design with a horizontal bar that cuts through the stem (not at the top). (Model #1 in the image in the OP isn't a good design.)
    dvisable.
    Thanks very much for clarifying
  • Following what Jan Pietkiewicz listed earlier in this thread, I’d like to ad, as a side aspect, those letter combinations (for Polish) which may pose spacing issues and are worth being checked for. – Just if anyone finds it helpful.

bł cłčł eł głf oł pł tłt yły włw łłz łż łź • mąjįąj ąg ąy įj įg įy ļj ųj ųg ųy

• The last one works but only as dlig