Grazhdanskiy Shrift

Grazhdanskiy Shrift is an attempt to revive the font, which altered the structure of the Russian alphabet by the reform of Peter the Great. The project is still in a draft. Any contributions are well-come and highly appreciated at Github or here. In practice, the font will contain 2 fonts (using the style set) to reflect the major changes that occur in the font after 1710 year.

Comments

• Stefan PeevStefan Peev Posts: 51
    edited May 4
    Digital text Sources

First results (Github)

• Christian ThalmannChristian Thalmann Posts: 1,048
    You should probably decide whether you want rounded serifs or sharp cuts and stick with the decision.
  • John SavardJohn Savard Posts: 170
    You should probably decide whether you want rounded serifs or sharp cuts and stick with the decision.
    Well, perhaps this first draft of the typeface will enable him to determine which of those choices would be more faithful to the original that is being copied.

Perhaps finding more print samples at higher magnifications of the original would also help in making that decision.

Yes, you are correct that most typefaces are designed according to choosing one of those two alternatives, not mixing them from letter to letter. And, thus, most likely, the original implementation of Peter the Great's revised alphabet also shared this characteristic. But to delay the decision in the design process as part of an effort to avoid making the wrong decision is something that I cannot be inclined to criticize too harshly.
    edited May 7
    Perhaps finding more print samples at higher magnifications of the original would also help in making that decision.
    Alas, it's not so easy to be find print samples at higher magnifications of the original. I've made a list of my sources here.

• John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 1,357
    I've got a few reproductions of the original specimen, of various qualities. There is some variation in the bracketing of the serifs, notably in the Г and Е which are bracketed at the top left but not elsewhere. I think the treatment of the lower right tooth of Д is incorrect in your version, probably because the scan of the original is too closely cropped: in the original it isn't so sharply cut, but is more like the left tooth.
    I finded today two different editions of one and the same book. The first edition is in 1709 year and the second one is in 1710 year. It is interesting to be explored. These different editions show the movement in the typedesign between 1708 and 1710 year. My sources are documented in GitHub.

• Do you intend to release the Grazhdanskiy Shrift font as a free download, or will it be a commercial font?