How would you call the italic equivalent of serifs?

I mean those small swashes at the ends of each "vertical" stem. Do they have a name?


  • Tail?
  • Stroke?
  • Appendix?  ;-)
  • Serifs.
  • Tail?
    Tail sounds like bottom. What would you call the top ones?
  • If you want your design to achieve its maximum potential, avoid "stroke". Language shapes thought.
  • Thank you all!
  • Hrant H. PapazianHrant H. Papazian Posts: 1,145
    edited February 13
  • Fwiw, I don’t disagree with Hrant that language shapes thought. Rather, I disagree that labeling these design features as “entry and exit strokes” is problematic. That is the origin of these things, and this is a very reasonable label as a result. One that is immediately comprehensible.

    Nothing wrong with going beyond that into a discussion of notan and chirographic vs typographic forms, which I look forward to reading and discussing in that other thread, yay! But these particular features are very much chirographic in origin, so inventing some other word that requires teaching everyone what the word means would not really help communicate; quite the contrary, IMO.
  • Nick ShinnNick Shinn Posts: 1,314
    Indeed, Thomas. And we still prefer the archaic “italic” (relating to the style’s origin) rather than “oblique”, “slanted” or “skewed”.
  • To my mind, there are at least two different meanings among those four terms—perhaps even three.
  • >>Indeed, Thomas. And we still prefer the archaic “italic” (relating to the style’s origin) rather than “oblique”, “slanted” or “skewed”.<<

    I prefer the term "wiggly"
  • It is not unheard of to just call them serifs. They come form the same brush entry strokes that shaped roman type in stone.
  • Paraentrystrokes and paraexitstrokes. Alternatively, entryparastrokes and exitparastrokes.
Sign In or Register to comment.