Webfont test suites or validation tools, which ones are there

One comment I picked up multiple times while talking/reading about webfonts, is that people are weary about creating WOFF and WOFF2 fonts because it adds so much work. These fonts need to be prepared, tested and validated, will introduce extra risk of broken fonts and cause more support questions. I also get the impression that local tooling, or on-the-fly font generation on a remote server, isn't to be trusted or complicated in usage.

I was wondering if there are any test suites or validation tools that people use now that could be improved, or what the requirements would be such a tool if it doesn't exist for your specific situation. Or examples of how current (command line) tools fudge up things, and how they should be improved.

Comments

• Paul van der LaanPaul van der Laan Posts: 203
    edited December 6
    It is a question of making correct TTF/OTF fonts in the first place. If these are tested, tried, and validated then there won't be a problem with the resulting WOFF/WOFF2 files.

We spend a lot of time making sure our desktop fonts are thoroughly tested, and this includes the use of MS Font Validator (among others) and testing on multiple platforms. If they are correct then making web fonts is only a matter of using a converter such as Sfntly.

If people complain about the extra work that comes with making webfonts then they probably do not have good source fonts to starts with.
  • I suppose most of the testing in the desktop environment involves actually using the font in applications? Are you doing anything special for web, e.g. testing in multiple browsers/OSes, testing different circumstances? I'm trying to get a feel for which tests are manual, and which ones are (or can be) automated.
  • Dave CrosslandDave Crossland Posts: 858
    edited December 7
    I've been commissioning better web font testing tools, in the github.com/googlefonts org there are a bunch of projects. 

FontBakery is the main one, and wraps various others like OTS, HinTak Fontval, etc