This is my first post here, so I guess I should introduce myself. I am a graphic designer from Poland. I work mostly in the field of brand identity but I have always (I mean during my short career) been interested in typography. At some point I have decided that type design was the the thing. I have started learning calligraphy to better understand the origins of type, simultaneously working on some type design projects. So here I am, asking for some critique, and saying hello to you all.
Recently I have been working on a project I call Mezalia. It was inspired by my calligraphic endeavors, precisely by my attempts at writing medieval bastard scripts (Bastard Secretary hand especially), hence the name. I was really captivated by the beauty and simultaneous legibility of the hand, and I started wondering if there was anything in that calligraphic style, that could be transferred into modern times so that it could retain it's character without offending contemporary sensibilities. What you are looking at are effects of that investigation.
The basic question I tried to answer here was something like: If renaissance typeface designers chose Bastard Secretary instead of lettera antiqua for their main typeface, and people around the world followed this, how would a typeface based on that style look like after some centuries of development? One thing I tried to retain was the feeling that the glyphs were drawn with a broad nibbed pen. This led to quite unusual stroke widths in some places. I have also intended this typeface to be used as a text font, so the legibility needed to be quite high. To achieve this I had to shorten the descenders and elongate the ascenders. I didn't want to design a calligraphic typeface per se so I made the serifs more akin to the antiqua, but I tried to retain the feeling of them being drawn with the same stroke as the stems. Compromises were made. I had to discard some of the more flamboyant forms for the sake of legibility. But I think the "bastard character" remains.
I attach samples of three weights: Regular, Hairline and Black.
Overall I am pretty happy with the result. I would love to hear what you guys think about this. I welcome all comments although if you intend to bash my project, please be gentle. I am not sure how much reality I can handle.
I am especially looking forward to some of the more technical comments.