2017 Font Purchasing Habits Survey Results (worth the read!)

Since many (most?) of the users here create and sell fonts of their own, I thought everyone would be interested in the results of a recent survey. There's a LOT to go through, but well worth glancing through to see what people look for and want when going through the process of finding and purchasing fonts. I found a few things that I can to do better.

Here's the link: https://medium.com/@mcpflugie/the-2017-font-purchasing-habits-results-3fc588283b33

Comments

• Follow the link at the end to take the Type Designer Survey, too!
  • 49% of people say they have read an entire EULA before

• . . . and 73% of them are lying.
  • I believe it if they're talking about the DJR or Butterick licenses: short, clear, refreshingly absent in legalese.
  • I believe it if they're talking about the DJR or Butterick licenses: short, clear, refreshingly absent in legalese.
    Still lying.
  • On the topic of EULAs, I'd actually be interested in knowing which specific clauses in a EULA might influence people's decision to buy a typeface rather than simply whether people have actually read one (it's been awhile since I took this survey, but my failing memory doesn't recall any questions on this topic).
  • The DJR license is still 1500 words.

People do read EULAs - it's just that what they read is "Press the button marked 'I agree' to get on with your day."
  • Jasper de Waard said:
    it's results are not representative for the total group of font-buyers. Respondents were often friends of typedesigners, I believe.
    This is a significant issue, but thankfully Mary Catherine asked certain questions that allow for an approximate subtraction of that crowd. Specifically:
    • 43% of people say they personally know a type designer.
    • 13% of the survey respondents say they have created and sold a typeface at some point in their life.