Wild Dave

QuoinDesignQuoinDesign Posts: 4
edited August 12 in Type Design Critiques
This is a display font. I was attracted to a secondary font on the business card of a 1900's-era bar of a family member. It was period, yet still had some modern overtones (or at least the characters that I had on the original card had those overtones and perhaps I imagined the rest). 

Would love to get any feedback you have. I grew up drawing fonts from my dad's sample books. I've been a designer for 20 years, but this is my first complete-ish face, and I'm sure it shows. 

I have plans for a range of weights, if this gets any interest at all.

Thank you!

Best,
Josh Rich

http://quoindesign.com/clientftp/WildDave/WildDaveforTypeDrawers.pdf
Tagged:

Comments

• Serif in the /G could be wider, especially pointing inwards more
    /J and /S too wide. A lot of the letter widths could be fine tuned (for example N looks too  narrow for the O)
    /E reduce the rsb
    /Q larger change in angle in the tail stroke?
    /R top bowl too small
    /W why is the top of it higher than the other letters  a lot of letter heights seem to be inconsistent, maybe measure and fix them
    /2 the diagonal stroke could be steeper
    /3 is is just weird looking
    /4 could the left stroke go all the way up ?
    /5 the serif at the top could point up instead of down?
    /9 midbar height make higher up
    most of the numbers, especially /6 and /9 feel too wide compared to the /0
    numbers feel more digital (more like stuff used for isbn codes) than western, 
    top right of /? is too pointy, not enough room between dot and stroke in /! and /?

the corners in M, N, V, W, Y, are too dark, and need more optical correction
    In general, a lot of the vertical serifs such as in L, S, Z, T could be longer
  • Lots of good points. Thank you, I'll work on this input and post a new version!
  • Some time ago I was also attracted by this design, for the same reason: It's really old but still feels fresh and modern. I liked it so much that also started a revival, but never finished it and probably never will.

From my research for the revival, the oldest sample I could find was by Palmer & Rey about 1880. Also found more samples by the Cleveland Type Foundry in 1895, and by ATF in 1897 and 1900.

I'm attaching the specimens, you may find then useful.
  • To add to Nathan's notes about letter widths: Why is /O wider than /Q ?