I've been thinking on this today, and I've quickly written up a few things that I find to be the main points that make a typeface of quality. I would love to know if anyone has something to add to this list.
I feel like I lose site of a lot of these overarching themes when I'm in drawing mode, so I'm trying to make a comprehensive list of things to think about so I can constantly be assessing them while I'm drawing. Any additional thoughts would be appreciated!
- does it solve a problem?
- who will use it?
- why are you making it?
- quality of drawing
- individual glyphs are drawn well
- do the negative and positive shapes harmonize with each other?
- does it have interesting alternates & ligatures?
- How many weights does it have?
- does it have alternate styles?