Preferences for vertical center on even-pixel-height glyphs.

Webfonters:

I was wondering what other peoples' preferences are for vertical center on even-pixel-height glyphs?

In theory, rounding up seems better for balancing counters. But on screen I'm finding I prefer rounding down, as more complicated things like the italic B seems to work better that way.

At this point I've been looking at so many pixels I've stopped trusting myself. Can anyone convince me one way or another?

XX XX XXXXXX XXXXXX
XX XX XX XX XX
XXXXXXX XXXXXX XXXXXX
XX XX XX XX XX
XX XX XX XX XX
XX XX XXXXXXX XXXXXX

up or down?

XX XX XXXXXX XXXXXX
XX XX XX XX XX
XX XX XX XX XX
XXXXXXX XXXXXX XXXXXX
XX XX XX XX XX
XX XX XXXXXXX XXXXXX

Comments

• For most typefaces, rounding up seems to be the norm.

In general, for those three letters you chose for your example, in most typefaces that horizontal crossbar is actually a tiny bit above the middle. Especially in the B. So the "natural" direction to round it is up.

Cheers,

T
  • I can't convince myself up looks better, but I should just do what Georgia does.
    WWMCD?
  • When I was hinting, I went with what seemed to be the most expected solution (up). With this solution, it didn’t seem like it was as big of a change when the size changed between even and odd pixel heights.
  • As long as I've been hinting, we've always "erred up". To the extent that some companies I've worked with use function calls that center the stem when possible and round up one pixel when not possible (up to some logical extreme when they can be expected to behave).
  • I would go upwards!
  • Thanks, all.
  • I was hoping this was the beginning of your new ascii-art-inspired font family.
  • ascii-art-inspired font family
    Actually...
  • Quite apart from the question of what is typical I was taught that there is good research suggesting that bigger counters ( at least for the latin script ) is helpful for readers. I should get a copy of that study....

But also this is also my experience when I look at two designs at a small size on screen.

It is also the tendency you see when you look at 15-18th C. optical compensation in punch cut fonts meant for small sizes.

The main contrary example that comes to mind is when the font is above a certain size/rez you begin to have real choices. In these cases sometimes a round down if more in keeping with the spirit of the design. I don't think kind of thing is what you mean though.