Honest question, since I'm still "young" (read: NOT full-time) when it comes to doing typography-related work professionally:
- For those of you who do it full-time, how are you able to provide for yourself and your family?
- How much of your income, percentage-wise, comes from custom, commissioned design work and how much comes from your own type/font projects?
- When seeking out those commissioned projects, how do you gain more exposure (or do your clients just come to you)?
- What have you found that does/doesn't make a difference in being able to do what you do full-time?
- What other kinds of work do you do to make-ends meet?
- What else should someone like me know?
I'm seriously reconsidering my current career choice and would appreciate your advice.