Macedonian italic /gje localization

13»

Comments

• Michel BoyerMichel Boyer Posts: 120
    edited June 2017
    In this link on how to write Serbian,  the word "overscore" is used. Due to my mathematical background, I used the word "overline" (which is also the name of a LaTeX command).
  • Maxim ZhukovMaxim Zhukov Posts: 74
    edited June 2017
    I've seen similar distinguishing lines in some examples of Russian handwriting. What would they be called in Russian?
    I love this one [шутка, ‘joke’]:

This article in Wikipedia mentions над- and подчeркивание [nad- and podcherkivanie; ‘over- and underlining’; or ‘over- and underscoring’] as disambiguation tools. One example offered is
    • надчёркивание и подчёркивание похоже выглядящих при письме от руки букв т (m) и ш (ш).
    ⟨…⟩ as Maxim pointed out the form of this distinguishing mark may differ from that of the macron, and the sign isn't an accent indicating a change in phonetic value.

But addressing phonetic values is not the sole purpose of diacritics. What about French a and àou and , etc.

That article I referred to, says, among other things, 

The use of an element of writing system as a diacritical mark is, to a large extent, conventional. Thus, in current Russian writing one may find ‘diacritics’ of varying degree of [im]plausibility, from absolute to near zero: ⟨…⟩.
  • John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 2,955
    But addressing phonetic values is not the sole purpose of diacritics.
    Indeed, but it is the typical purpose of the macron sign. Indeed, the etymology of the word macron implies its conventional use: to indicate length.

• Stefan PeevStefan Peev Posts: 92
    edited June 2017
    @Nikola Kostic An other interesting question is what's happen with „г, п, т“ in case we have not an italic but an oblique forms in Serbian and Macedonian script. Do „г, п, т“ lose the overline above? I have only one example and I'm not sure it's a decision of my question. I presume the overline is not needed in this case...

• @Stefan Peev In Oblique „г, п, т“ have a completely different form from cursive, so there is never a line above.
  • Nikola KosticNikola Kostic Posts: 42
    edited June 2017
    @John Hudson Sorry to say, but we are terribly short on original technical terminology in Serbia. We just call it "crta" which would translate to "a line" or "a dash".
    edited June 2017
    Nikola Kostic Sorry to say, but we are terribly short on original technical terminology in Serbia. We just call it "crta" which would translate to "a line" or a "dash".

I'll call the problem "international". And as I'm a publisher, I dream for an international dictionary of typographic terms! It'll be a huge and very useful project – the Greenwich watch in typography :)

• An official link for free download as a PDF of the book: Правопис на македонскиот јазик - Институт за македонски јазик „Крсте Мисирков“ – Скопје (2017). (Spelling of the Macedonian language - Institute of Macedonian Language "Krste Misirkov" - Skopje (2017). For download: use the button, labeled as ПРЕЗЕМИ ПРАВОПИС.
  • John SavardJohn Savard Posts: 1,088
    In Russian, at least, the lines that distinguish "sh" from "t" in  certain handwriting styles could hardly be considered diacritical marks. Instead, they would be viewed, I would think, as integral to the letter, the way the dot in the lower-case letter I is viewed in languages using the Latin alphabet other than Turkish.
  • John SavardJohn Savard Posts: 1,088
    An official link for free download as a PDF of the book: Правопис на македонскиот јазик - Институт за македонски јазик „Крсте Мисирков“ – Скопје (2017). (Spelling of the Macedonian language - Institute of Macedonian Language "Krste Misirkov" - Skopje (2017). For download: use the button, labeled as ПРЕЗЕМИ ПРАВОПИС.

Thank you for the link, but at the risk of derailing this thread, I must note that when I visited the site, although I was able to download the PDF, I got a pop-up message from my computer stating that Microsoft Security Essentials was cleaning some threats that it had detected - although it advised me that no action was necessary on my part.

So the site hosting this document may have to be notified that it has been tampered with to spread harmful programs.
    edited August 2018
    There is such a licensing message on the site: "The website is owned by the publisher of the electronic edition of the Spelling of the Macedonian language, the National and University Library "St. Clement of Ohrid". The free electronic version of the Spelling in Macedonian language is available exclusively for non-commercial purposes. Copying, breeding and selling is strictly prohibited." So, the site remain the only place to look at and download the book. I'm sorry...