Would you like to own a typographer's mould?

Ramiro EspinozaRamiro Espinoza Posts: 558
edited May 23 in History of Typography
Dear colleagues,

In the coming months there will be a number of typographer's moulds produced in the Netherlands similar to the one in the picture. They will be working devices able to cast metal type.

If you are *seriously* interested in owing a hand mould, please drop me an email at: http://www.re-type.com/contact/
**Please state the size of your mould in points (make please clear if they are Pica or Didot points).

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Nick GillNick Gill Posts: 1
    I would, of course; it's going to be more than I could afford, though :smile:
    Delighted to see that someone's going to be making some.
  • Ink balls. I want me some ink balls.
  • Thomas PhinneyThomas Phinney Posts: 745
    Having some information on pricing would be helpful
  • Nick ShinnNick Shinn Posts: 1,132
    I may be a bit crusty, but am fortunately mould-free at the moment.
  • Ramiro EspinozaRamiro Espinoza Posts: 558
    @Thomas Phinney I will send you an estimate tomorrow. Next week we'll have a more detailed picture. 
  • I am very interested too.  Several replica's have been made in the past and recently a custom made one for the replica B-42 matrices created by Theo Rehak in 2005 was made by Hugh Macfarlane. It is 19.5 pica points.
    I found also this link on another list : 
    "University of North Texas and Texas A&M University Libraries have made a 3-D printed Hand Mold and Matrix for teaching the process. you can download plans and print one!"
  • James PuckettJames Puckett Posts: 1,413
    I might be interested in using one for teaching depending on the price. You should contact Shelley Gruendler of Typecamp to find out if there’s a mailing list or forum for design teachers who might be interested.
  • You just gave me an idea, assuming the cost of the real thing is prohibitive for most schools: 3D-print them!
  • I would be interested in owning one too, depending on the cost.
  • Ramiro EspinozaRamiro Espinoza Posts: 558
    edited May 29
    Today I had a meeting at the technical school were the mould is going to be manufactured. Soon I will have more detailed quotations and I will send messages to all the people who contacted me for the project.
    The mould in the picture above is the one in possession of the Plantin Moretus. Here is a picture of the one in possession of Gerard Post van der Molen, complete with custom screwdrivers and the case.

• Bet your ink balls I want a type mould.
  • Fernando DíazFernando Díaz Posts: 100
    I'm interested as well!
  • I am really interested too!