Jacaranda

Hello everyone,

I'm searching for a critique of this face I have in development

It was created with the intention of using it for headings in print, I don't anticipate it being useful for body text. I also intend to create a heavier weight once I have the forms of the 'Regular' weight sorted.

At the moment - kerning aside - I'm concerned about the lowercase /u/. The /u/ appears significantly bolder than the /n/, despite them sharing very similar proportions. The same can be said of the /x/, although I think some problems could be solved by the removal of two diagonal serifs.

If anyone could provide any comments they might have on this face, it would be most appreciated! A full specimen can be found here: https://dropbox.com/s/psqzzbavwq9oc9s/Specimen%203.pdf

Comments

• Nick ShinnNick Shinn Posts: 2,131

Hello, and please use your real name!
    Let’s see some headings, posted into this thread as images.
  • CaleCale Posts: 2
    Hi, Nick. Here's a sample of the face used in a heading.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The /r/ is too wide, the /c/ is short at the bottom and overall the spacing isn't that good. I looked at the complete font in the link provided and there are some weight issues in places.
  • Nick ShinnNick Shinn Posts: 2,131
    Cale, it’s important to have a consistent quality to the rendering. At the moment, there is a disparity between the precise execution of the serifs and straight stems, and the rough finish of the curves. You can’t have it both ways, so either loosen up the clean repetitive elements, or apply more consistency and rigor to the curves and wedge terminals
  • FWIW, the space character itself is too wide, as a rule of thumb it should be 50% of the width of the O character.
  • CaleCale Posts: 2
    Thank you all for your valuable critique! It has really helped me identify why Jacaranda looks odd - I will make changes and post a revision in the near future.
  • Eris AlarEris Alar Posts: 420
    edited January 2013
    "Small groups of homeless people can live in the space between those words." love it James.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.