Kerning Pairs Generator

Hi everyone!

A year ago I started taking interest into lettering and after few months I also got interested in designing and developing fonts. Since then I had created 6 fonts and I have 2 more at the final stage. Since I am more into calligraphy, scripts and cursives I try to test kernings for as many pairs as possible. But because I always forgot that one ligature or special character, I decided to create myself a tool that will create all possible kerning pairs I am interested in so that I can just upload the kerning strings to my font software. I wanted to share this tool with you and ask you for the feedback. It would also be great if anyone can tell me how does kerning pair strings look for Glyphs or any other font software I have not yet included into this tool.

You can find this Kerning Pairs Generator here: http://www.junikstudio.com/kernings/

Tagged:

Comments

• Dave CrosslandDave Crossland Posts: 1,389
    Have you considered publishing the source code under a libre license? :)
  • @Dave Crossland I don't know yet since I put this online yesterday :)

• I miss accented letters. It will become interesting to (normally) occurring combination of accents. 

And an option to add context to the pair. 
  • @Georg SeifertI have included accented letters under "latin" shortcut. If I am missing something, please let me know. And thanks for the other suggestion. I will think how can I implement contextual kerning in the tool.
  • Chris LozosChris Lozos Posts: 1,458
    Probably better to name that group diacritic latin or something more descriptive.  I found them only by wondering what the group meant.
  • @Chris Lozos Thank you. I have received more suggestions on letters, so I have added bubble "more" with drop down to different letters, including "Diacritic lowercase" and "Diacritic uppercase".

• Chris LozosChris Lozos Posts: 1,458
    I agree with Georg about context.  It would be great if users could choose a couple of neighboring glyphs to best judge the pair.  I usually use "nu" on either side of lowercase kerns to give some normal context to the pair in question. as in: “nuvonu” when working on the “vo” kern.