Options

Blade Fonts generated by FontForge

CerboneyCerboney Posts: 2
edited September 2016 in Type Design Software
Hello,

Need some help please for the quality of my fonts generated by FontForge. It makes me sick that I can't get what I want.
I create a new font from "Times New Roman". I just combine some characters in one glyph, for instance a glyph will be "AB". To create this, I just copy "B" in the "A" glyph, and translate it to the right. Etc. for others. But when I generate the font, use it in Word, and get a PDF file with PDF Creator, my font is a few blade (only at 50-100%, or for small size, because 100pt at 100% will appear "good") compared to the normal "Times". But I don't understand why because my font is just "Times" in fact. What did I wrong ? I think it comes of "FontForge" which is free, and maybe I will not meet this problem with a professional one. It remembers me some problems I had with Inkscape and I didn't have with Illustrator for example.

Also I enlarged a character, but his horizontal lines are slightly blurred in the final PDF file. But the same horizontal lines in the glyphs of "professional fonts" are not blurred, are sharp and clean.

Thank you in advance for your help guys

Bye

Cerboney

Comments

• Options
    Please explain blade. I don't understand "my font is a few blade".

As for the sharpness, that's hinting. A quick way to get reasonably good auto-hinting is to download ttfautohint and run it on your TTF with the default settings.
  • Options
    Also, as James Todd requested, please change your ID to your real first and last name. Forum Rules. Thank you.
  • Options
    Please explain blade. I don't understand "my font is a few blade".

As for the sharpness, that's hinting. A quick way to get reasonably good auto-hinting is to download ttfautohint and run it on your TTF with the default settings.
    Thanks for the answer. By "blade", I mean also "pallor", "paleness".... My font in black color for instance is not in the "same black" than the Times font in black color, it is "less black". But only for small size and small zoom as I said.

I will try to install that "hinting". Don't understand tho why it is not installed on FontForge by default...