Options

Troubleshooting FontLab

is there a troubleshooting section here for technical help? My FontLab has become corrupt so I am unable to use it.  I need to restore it to exactly how it was, or it'll be a real pain to have to do it all again manually. Grateful for any help. 

Comments

• Options
    Not sure what “corrupt” actually means here. What exactly goes wrong? – Maybe a complete re-installing could help?
  • Options
    George ThomasGeorge Thomas Posts: 634
    edited September 2016
    Be very careful if you do a reinstall because if you have custom encoding files they may get overwritten. They do with FLVI.
  • Options
    Hopefully you have a backup device in use that you can go back to a prior time prior to corruption?  If not, locate your FLS5 portion of Library files to find all of your dependency files.  After you reinstall, put these files back in the same path as before.
  • Options
    … if you have custom encoding files they may get overwritten. …
    Right. One can easily store own encoding files at a safe place manually before trashing the application. I’d wish the same could be said about customized keyboard shortcuts.
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Igor FreibergerIgor Freiberger Posts: 253
    edited September 2016
    In my experience, saved workspaces are among the main reasons that cause crashes in FontLab 5.x. Every time I tried to reapply a saved workspace, FL went crazy. So, after you customize FL's UI, keyboard shortcuts and so on, save a copy of the folder where configurations are (the same defined in Preferences > General Options > Folders and Paths). Almost all times, just restoring the folder does the job. And do not change the workspace from FL menu.

As other fellows already pointed, in this folder are also your encodings, scripts, macros, programs, etc. So an updated copy is always convenient.

The same approach is also useful with other applications, especially InDesign (whose recent versions are full of problems).
  • Options
    Also, please do contact us at FontLab for support if you are still having trouble!

Support at FontLab (dot com).
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. It has been sorted.