Anybody else want to commission a open source Wordpress type tester?

Comments

• Would it be possible to avoid jQuery and getting rid of a dependency right away?
    I simply started off with what a) I somewhat know and b) most wordpress sites use anyway. Feel free to lay out the foundation for something non-jqueryish and I'll gladly help work on that instead ;)
  • People using some blogging wp host aren't this tools audience in my opinion. A dockerfile that describes how to install a httpd, php, mysql, wp, and hbview seems straightforward to me, as is running it on gcp, aws, azure, digitalocean, etc etc.
  • Since this regards only the "image fallback" option that some already regard as non-pertinent it's maybe not the most essential of questions if or if not support for this is implemented right away, and how this would affect a possible user base. For example, it could be an option that is only available in the Wordpress panel if those libraries are indeed installed on the system.

Is there anyone here following this discussion that has experience with authoring Wordpress plugins?
  • From my point of view uploading the fonts and/or generating web font kits via that plugin should be discussed in advance, because you could spent much time on adding this functionality to the plugin (or not). I presume most people here know how to generate web font kits and prefer to have as much control as possible when generating them, so there's probably no need to have that functionality in the plugin itself. 
  • @Johannes Neumeier

or was this connected to testing language specific OpenType features you mentioned, so that the user has the option to select which language she'd be typing?

Yes, I would want support for selecting language in HTML.
  • @Frode Bo Helland Could you provide me with a woff file that has such features and tell me what to test with, e.g. "try this and that with this and that language, and the difference in rendering should be this"...? Or if you know a Google Webfont or Typekit font that does have such behaviour I could used to implement and verify a feature like that in the javascript implementation?

@Lars Schwarz With generating subsets or such I was mostly referring to generating webfont files that don't necessarily contain the entire font (both for DRM and loading performance reasons). Not sure if this is an actual thing or more like just my assumption. I agree with you that the target users of this plugin would probably proficient enough or keen on creating the font files themselves. So either way this might not be a less important feature.
  • An example is Skolar Sans on Typekit.

I was under the impression this was just a gathering of interested parties and their needs. Did development already start?
  • Thanks for the reference, I'll check it out in more detail when I get around to it. So each OpenType feature could be a separate toggle, and the languages a drop down, no?
    I was under the impression this was just a gathering of interested parties and their needs. Did development already start?
    Yes, and maybe. (:

I played around a bit with the "first step" of creating the javascript front end that is needed to manipulate and load the font sample, but this is just some preliminary hacking around, no commitment per se to build this.

The basics for loading fonts and manipulating basic features like font size etc is quite straight forward. I made a testing page to show and test the jquery plugin's features as I (or maybe we? :) ) develop them - but this is more of a "functional" test than a suggestion or actual implementation for the interface.
  • Roel NieskensRoel Nieskens Posts: 106
    edited July 2016
    I simply started off with what a) I somewhat know and b) most wordpress sites use anyway. Feel free to lay out the foundation for something non-jqueryish and I'll gladly help work on that instead ;)
    It's always a nice challenge to see how development goes without relying on jQuery, but for quick prototyping it's perfect, so don't change anything on my account!

I'd rather jump in when specs are a bit more clear and some kind of scope can be determined. Got more than enough projects to fill my spare time as it is, a problem I'm sure you all are familiar with.

On the subject of what kind of backend you'd need, that'd depend on the requirements. If subsetting, turning on/off OT features in the final font, browser-independent demoing of IT features or DRM/protection is part of that, you'd definitely need a backend. If you stick to trying out a webfont, kinda like the nice example from @Stephen Coles, you could keep it all client-side which would make it so much easier to release it as a (WordPress) plugin.
  • I've now started work on making this a Wordpress plugin that wraps some administrative functionality as well as an interface for selecting and manipulating the frontend previews. This is a low priority project for me at the moment, but once I have some more refined previews I'll post again.

I'd be curious to hear if the people that showed interest before would consider donating to a plugin like this - and how much, assuming it meets their needs and quality standards?
  • That’s great to hear Johannes, I would be very willing to contribute to funding development and be available for beta testing. I believe the finished plugin should be sold at a relatively high premium, so that you generate income after its release and have an incentive to give support/updates for it. For the time being I think it should be available only to those of us through TypeDrawers who wish to contribute to its development. 

Please PM me to discuss funding.
  • George ThomasGeorge Thomas Posts: 435
    edited August 2016
    I'm still very much interested and willing to contribute, dependent upon the amount required. I also agree with what Paulo said, above.

How about setting up a private group where this can be discussed among those who wish to subscribe to development?
  • Nick ShinnNick Shinn Posts: 1,289
    I’m interested.
  • Not sure how best to coordinate this, but I've setup a private google group; those of you who wish to influence where the plugin development is going please sign up and voice your ideas as well as how you are willing to support the development:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/fontsampler-wordpress-plugin-development

Also: Co-developers wanted! :)
  • Pinging all who above stated interest either as potential users, supporters or developers: @James Puckett @Paulo Goode @Jacques Le Bailly @Stuart Sandler @Frode Bo Helland @Erin McLaughlin @LeMo aka PatternMan aka Frank E Blokland @David Vereschagin @Nick Shinn @Roel Nieskens

Feel free to join the development google group linked above.
  • Thanks Johannes! Looking forward to your updates! Currently using TypeShow at my sites and looking for a better solution.
  • I am interested either as potential user.
  • Chris DrabschChris Drabsch Posts: 76
    edited September 2016
    I have a strong background in Wordpress (mainly frontend, but a bit of backend too) / web design & development / UX design, and would be happy to lend a hand where needed. I've applied to join the group via Google Groups.

Regarding licensing, one option might be a freemium model where the core plugin is open source but advanced features / customizations require a separate PRO plugin or license, or perhaps using a paid support ticket system to encourage ongoing development - users buy credits to request priority support.

EDIT: This sort of pricing structure may work too: http://www.smartmenus.org/download/
  • I'm interested, and so is my web development team. I've invited them to join in this discussion.

• Just a little cross-update here: I've now launched a IndieGoGo funding campaign to get more support for developing the plugin further - any help is appreciated.

The code is also public on Github and contributions, comments or feature request are highly welcome.

There also is a relatively up-to-date preview I'm hosting on my server, so you can have a play.
  • I’m in. Good work, Johannes. And thanks for jumping in and coding!
  • Done. Thanks for all the hard work to get this started.
  • Thanks, superb to have your immediate support in the funding campaign!
  • Hrant H. PapazianHrant H. Papazian Posts: 1,089
    edited October 2016
    Great to see this.

How much support for non-Latins is anticipated?
  • Great to see this.

How much support for non-Latins is anticipated?
    Cheers! Well, since I don't have much experience with non-latin scripts it really depends on the feedback and input I get. If you have a look at the preview, what things strike you as possibly needing consideration? Or more generally, what do you have in mind?

I'm happy to upload any non-latin sample webfonts also for people to test. If you can suggest to me any particular openly available one I'll be happy to add it to the preview as well, and see what obvious considerations it needs.
  • Noto?  :-)
    http://www.monotype.com/resources/case-studies/more-than-800-languages-in-a-single-typeface-creating-noto-for-google

I guess the biggest hurdle might be right-to-left scripts, especially Arabic. Although Indic scripts are complex too.

BTW the Letterspacing slider should come with a warning, since it runs roughshod over careful kerning.
  • Actually a bigger hurdle would be Mongolian... For help on that you could ask Toshi Omagari or Tengis Type.
  • Thanks for releasing the code on Github Johannes! I'm still keen to help out with the coding and testing side of things so I might try and tackle some of those issues / feature requests you've logged so far. 
  • Kayley HillKayley Hill Posts: 27
    edited October 2016
    Complete random question, will there be an option to set the controls to be underneath the preview?
  • Noto?  :-)
    http://www.monotype.com/resources/case-studies/more-than-800-languages-in-a-single-typeface-creating-noto-for-google

I guess the biggest hurdle might be right-to-left scripts, especially Arabic. Although Indic scripts are complex too.

BTW the Letterspacing slider should come with a warning, since it runs roughshod over careful kerning.
    Good point about the warning - this is something though I hope the admin-users of the plugin (type foundries, designers) are aware of when enabling the feature in the back end.

Right to left scripts should have the same support as they have for html in general, as the common limiting factor - so I suppose not many.
    Do you reckon it would be sufficient to have a RTL checkbox in the admin backend that designates on of these type samplers as containing a right to left script and thus changing all the default alignment and text directions?

Thanks for the - obvious - font suggestion :D