The Society of Typographic Aficionados
is pleased to announce the seventh annual SOTA Catalyst Award
. The award is targeted at young people who have created original work in type design, type history, or other areas related to typography. It recognizes a person 25 years of age or younger who shows both achievement and future promise in the field of typography. The purpose of the award is to act as a catalyst in the career of a young person who does not yet have broad exposure in their profession.
The recipient will be awarded up to $2,000 USD in reimbursement for transportation and lodging expenses to attend the TypeCon2016: Resound
conference in Seattle, WA — August 24th to 28th. They will also have their conference registration paid for and be required to give a 20-minute presentation during the main conference program. Recipients should be available to attend the conference from Thursday to Sunday.
The SOTA Catalyst Award is fully funded by The Society of Typographic Aficionados, an international not-for-profit organization dedicated to the promotion, study, and support of type, its history and development, its use in the world of print and digital imagery, its designers, and its admirers.
Notification of Award
The applicant must be 25 years of age or younger on December 31st, 2016. The applicant must attend TypeCon2016 in Seattle, WA from August 24th to 28th, making a 20-minute presentation during the conference.
The following materials must be emailed to [email protected]
by the submission deadline. A single PDF file (may be multiple pages) containing the following information:
- Visual samples of a specific project or a related group of works to be the topic of the presentation
- A brief description of the presentation (100 words or less)
- A letter explaining your involvement in typography (300 words or less)
- Optional: Online links to additional work or background information
- Contact information, including your name, date of birth, postal address, organization or university affiliation (if applicable), email, and phone number with area code. Applicants from outside the U.S. or Canada should also include their country dialing code.