Logotype to Font conversion: Should you "Fix" the original?

I'm working on a job for a high end luxury brand that will remain nameless. They have requested a font, based on the logotype.

From a type design perspective, there are some "problems" with the font, such as the N coming to a sharp taper, and the leg of the 'R' does not extend back toward the stem enough. The U is unbalanced...you get my drift. Small things, that work ok in the logotype (which is in production for the client).

Should I fix these letters in the original, or am I setting myself up for an unwinnable and pointless fight?

Comments

• No. Unless they want you to change things, don't. 
  • George ThomasGeorge Thomas Posts: 631
    edited February 2016
    My solution to propose to them would be to design the font as it should be but sub alternate glyphs when they appear as the logo.
  • Make the case by comparing two prototypes. But if they say no then just drop the issue.
  • Chris LozosChris Lozos Posts: 1,458
    They will not "Thank you later" so you just might ask them straight out about it?
  • Ray LarabieRay Larabie Posts: 1,376
    Show examples of it done both ways and let them choose.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AbiRasheedAbiRasheed Posts: 236
    edited February 2016
    I misread what you asked and left a comment but I think it has nothing to do with what you're trying to do.  Can't find a way to delete my comment ...
  • Nick ShinnNick Shinn Posts: 2,129
    I would consider the typeface to be the default, its glyph forms optimized for general usage, according to your taste, with the logo containing custom-lettered variant glyphs, which should not appear in the typeface, even as alternates.

That will keep things simple, from the perspective of the client’s ongoing production (with their suppliers, etc.) and also make the logo “special”, which it should be.