Move to text fonts with support for extended Latin (at least)

The current setup is not ideal for discussing extended character sets. Alright Sans (as delivered by WebType) only offer 271 glyphs. On that note, contemporary webfonts for CJK, Greek and Cyrillic is also on my wishlist.

Comments

• Good suggestion. @Jackson Cavanaugh and @Paley Dreier, any plans for Extended Latin Alright Sans fonts at Webtype?
  • Paul van der LaanPaul van der Laan Posts: 156
    edited November 2015
    Alternatively you can format your posts as “code”. Nitti supports Latin, Greek αβγδεζη and extended Cyrillic абвгдеж. (Plus Hebrew soon). ;)

Although it appears that the version of Nitti served on Typedrawers has these scripts stripped out?

• Good idea. Go for it. 
  • The “as delivered by WebType” part is a flag for me. WebType offers options for reducing the character set in the user's CSS... are you the one doing the implementation, so you know that you are not looking at a reduced version?

Many that most other web font services reduce the character set by default. WebType is unlike Typekit and Google in that it only reduces the character set if the user specifically asks for it.
  • Stephen ColesStephen Coles Posts: 683
    edited November 2015
    Thomas, no client-side subsetting going on in this case. The full version of Alright Sans has 1,036 glyphs. Webtype hosts a version with 271 glyphs. So, I’m hoping we can get the full version up on Webtype so we can subset ourselves.

• Although it appears that the version of Nitti served on Typedrawers has these scripts stripped out?
    @James Puckett, if you’re still hosting the Webtype fonts in your account do you mind enabling those character sets?
  • The Webtype fonts were never set up by me. @Nick Sherman kindly set the whole thing up and I just copy/pasted his style code into the custom portion of the Vanilla theme.
  • I’ve used Alright Sans through Webtype a few times and have run into the 271 glyphs issue. Last I checked, I couldn’t enable broader character sets than that default. So there was no access to the × glyph, for example. Not sure if this has changed lately, but I never got Webtype to satisfy my fringe needs.
  • Well, that seems broken. They should host the full glyph set of the fonts.
  • @Jackson Cavanaugh: Not sure of the history and why we never got the full set from you, but send my way and we’ll get them up. Fringe benefits for all. 
  • Well, CJK... Are you serious? A fully-hinted Chinese/Japanese fonts will be about 26MB.
  • Monotype and Adobe Typekit both offer dynamic subsetting. Arabic? Devanagari? (Where do you draw the line?)
  • Monotype and Adobe Typekit both offer dynamic subsetting. Arabic? Devanagari? (Where do you draw the line?)
    At “extended Latin (at least),” according to OP.
  • I was just saying that the full glyph set should be available.