Options

First typeface with a name?

John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 2,977
edited October 2015 in History of Typography
Does anyone know what was the first typeface to be named, to be identified as something other than e.g. Aldus' second italic, or Caslon's English Body Pica Roman No.1?

It makes sense that the practice of naming typefaces — and trademarking those names — became standard among the large commercial foundries of the 19th Century, and later the makers and sellers of matrix fonts for hot metal machine composition. But when did it begin, and how quickly did it become common?

I imagine this is a topic that one or more type and printing historians may have investigated. Any references?

Comments

• Options
    Tobias Frere Jones wrote about when typefaces began being named sometime ago

• Options
    Thanks! Now I read that, I'm pretty sure I read it when Tobias first published it, but had forgotten about it.
  • Options
    Having (re)read Tobias' article, I am now wondering what was the first non-decorative, typical text face to be named?
  • Options
    Florian HardwigFlorian Hardwig Posts: 263
    edited October 2015
    In his Reading essay about the development of clarendon/ionic typefaces, Mitja Miklavčič mentions that “[i]n October of 1845 the name ‘Clarendon’ was registered” and quotes Yvonne Schwemer-Scheddin who claims that Fann Street Foundry’s “Clarendon was also the first typeface to enjoy copyright protection”.
  • Options
    Kent LewKent Lew Posts: 905
    Clarendon is also what came to my mind immediately (without checking any sources to confirm).
  • Options
    Thanks, Florian and Kent.
  • Options
    Nick ShinnNick Shinn Posts: 2,145
    edited October 2015
    Union Pearl, c.1690, according to the Stephenson Blake early 20th century revival.
    Can’t find any contemporary samples, though.

Figgins’ Phantom, 1830s.
  • Options
    Union Pearl is shown in Jaspert, Berry & Johnson, and described as follows:
    The oldest of the English decorated types, which belonged about 1700 to the Grover Foundry and has descended to the present owners via Fry’s and the Fann Street Foundry. It is an italic with swash capitals and open letters which are decorated with pearls or unions.

• Options
    Nick ShinnNick Shinn Posts: 2,145
    Talbot Baines Reed, A History of the Old English Letter Foundries, 1888/1952.